I LIED and told this guy I met, that I was in Houston, because of a family emergency. But if he was social media astute… he would have looked at my twitter and seen that I was lying Why did I lie? Let me Explain.
Let’s just call this person V.
Last week, after work I went perusing in this cigar shop — while there I met this gentlemen. We talked and soon after I gave him my business card, and he’d seen that I do social media marketing and public relations. First words out of his mouth “I want to work with you” … “we should work together.. I need some social media marketing.” I told him that I wasn’t committing, and he kept asking why not? In my mind… it was because we haven’t spoken about the COMPENSATION part!! I’m thinking… my first mistake was I should have asked him, what was his budget during that initial introduction. I didn’t. My mistake.
We set up a time to meet again that coming Friday to talk business.. towards the end of the meeting he said “…well when I get a budget after this meeting with Maserati ” I left the meeting annoyed. WHY?
- He kept name dropping (2x he said “.. My ex-wife is a DOCTOR.”)
- He kept attesting to know a lot of people in Dallas (you shouldn’t have to tell me.. I should just see it… right?)
- While he said he knew people.. he kept asserting himself to people that walked in… NOT ONE came up to him
- He just assumed I would do this for free (Why? Because I’m a woman, or is it because I was nice) Would he ask his potential business partners to work for him for FREE99
- His car was absolutely deplorable and nasty (I thought men loved their cars, and took care of the inside of them regardless of what kind of car it was) This spoke VOLUMES!!
- He was flirting with me — instead of it being about business. That was such a turn off!
He dropped me off at my car after we left, and on my way home I kept thinking about our conversation at the cigar bar. Why would I work for him pro bono? I’m open other pro bono opp’s… if it’s the right opportunity… this was not one of them. All I could think of was he was full of shit, and I didn’t want to work for any one whose only reciprocity was ” I know a lot of people in Dallas and I can introduce you.”
Was I wrong? Should I just give this arse a call? Why did I lie, because he set the precedent for the business relationship that made me uncomfortable, and I was just threw! And quite frankly I was insulted that he thought he could get over, because I am new to Dallas.